Jeremiah 39:15 Now the word of the LORD came unto Jeremiah, while he was shut up in the court of the prison, saying,
Where are you when you most often hear from God? Some would say Church, during Sunday School, morning or evening worship, or at Wednesday night service. Oh, how I pray that is true. While others might say, He speaks to me during my quiet time with Him during daily devotions. Stating that as they read their Bible God uses His written Word to speak to their heart. What a wonderful truth this is for those who take time to fellowship with God daily. However, most of us would probably not have said in jail. In a place made to house sinners and lawbreakers. Yet, that is exactly where He spoke to Jeremiah. In fact, we will find in the Bible God spoke to several people while they were in jail. It may seem like an unlikely place, but the truth is God speaks to us all in all sorts of places. He does so through the Holy Spirit and the Word of God that we have studied previously. Often in our own emotional or spiritual prisons which we have created.
• In our prison of “I want it my way,” Jesus says, “whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.”
• In a prison of despair, we hear the voice of God say, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”
• In the prison of our own sinfulness that may seem unforgivable or irreversible, we hear God speak; “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
• When it seems we can’t go on and we place ourselves in a prison of dejectedness and weariness we hear Him call; “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
• In the most unlikely places, we hear God say, “Peace be still.”
Why do we not hear Him speak? We often shut Him out or stay too busy for God. Take time today to listen… Hear it? He just said, “I love you.”
THROUGH THE BIBLE ACCELERATED READING (O.T.-1/N.T. & PS.-2/Prov.-Monthly)
Jeremiah 39, 40 / Psalm 84 / Proverbs 6 / Galatians 1, 2
THROUGH THE BIBLE OLD & NEW TESTAMENT DAILY
Isa. 1-4 / Eph. 1
“Getting people into the Word of God…
… and the Word of God into people.”
Dr. Franklin J. Senters Th.D.
Founder and Executive Director